One of my resolutions for 2014 is to cook a new recipe each week for the entire year. I cooked week one’s recipe tonight. Chicken and avocado enchiladas. I’m gonna go with delicious AND healthy. So it’s definitely a win/win. I fed five people with one pans worth of enchiladas and got rave reviews all around.
Avocado Chicken Enchiladas
Ingredients for the Enchilada Sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp flour
1 cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1.5 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tsp cayenne
Juice of one lime
1 cup mild or medium salsa verde (depending on how hot you want it)
1/2 cup 2%greek yogurt
1 cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted
Ingredients for the Enchiladas
3-4 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped or shredded
2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
3 avocados, peeled and chopped
12 corn tortillas tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In medium sauce pan, saute garlic in butter over medium-high heat for about 1 minute. Stir in flour and continue to stir while cooking for 2 more minutes.
2. Next stir in the chicken/veggie broth, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the greek yogurt, salsa verde and lime.
3. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Add about 1/2 cup sauce to the bottom of the pan. and spread out until bottom of the baking dish is evenly coated. Mash avocado and add the juice of one lime and a little salt and mix.
4. Heat tortillas a few at a time in the microwave. Lay out a tortilla and add chicken, shredded cheese, corn, and avocado to the end of the tortilla and roll.
5. Place each tortillas, seam-side down in the dish. Repeat until all tortillas and filling are used up.
6. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Cover with leftover cheese and bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.
Tomorrow I’m going to make week two’s recipe. Banana walnut baked oatmeal. Yummm.
So I decided to look up “happy birthday hamsters” and now I regret nothing.